[Cbe-oss-dev] Support for embedded SPU ELF in dynamic libs

Brian Watt bwatt at us.ibm.com
Sat Feb 3 07:44:59 EST 2007

All,

Just to make sure, I'm no expert in all this.

Case 1: I only stated that I know of no one who has developed an SPU
executable that links with SPU shared object libraries (.so files) which
are dynamically loaded either at load time or run time. All I am aware of
is an SPU executable bound wiht SPU static libraries during link time.
This is all I was talking about with Maynard.

Case 2: Naturally this is entirely different from having a PPU executable
which links with with PPU shared object libraries (.so files) which are
dynamically loaded either at load time or run time. Now within these PPU
shared object libraries there maybe SPU executables embedded. We did not
discuss this, and maybe that is what Arnd is talking about.

Again, greater minds need to respond.

Brian Watt, Cell Software Development, Quasar Design Center
(512)823-6013, TL793-6013; FAX: Unknown
IBM Corporation, Div/7T, D/FSOA, B/906-5G015, M/S 906-5G015, 11501 Burnet
Rd, Austin, TX 78758
Notes: Brian Watt/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, Internet: bwatt at us.ibm.com

maynardj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
02/02/2007 01:35 PM
Please respond to
maynardj at linux.vnet.ibm.com

Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>
cc
cbe-oss-dev at ozlabs.org, Alan Modra <amodra at au1.ibm.com>, Brian
Watt/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, cel at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Subject
Support for embedded SPU ELF in dynamic libs

Arnd,
In one of the review comments to our OProfile-Cell SPU profiling patch
(see below), you mentioned that we may have to handle "an embedded spu
ELF file in a shared library object".  You state that our current
OProfile implementation does not support such a model.  That's a true
statement, since we were not aware of a requirement to support such a
model.  I gave Brian Watt a call to ask what he knew about this, and
he's not aware of anyone who's attempted to do this and wasn't sure if
it's a supported model.  He suggested I ask Alan Modra, who I put on cc.

      Alan, can you shed any light on this topic?

Thanks.

-Maynard