[Cbe-oss-dev] Newbie: which kboot?

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 04:08:44 EST 2007

I am running F8 with SDK 3.0 on

Three PS3's in a beowulf cluster.

One PS3 stand alone.

Four Mercury "QS21" 1U rack mounts

Several QS20's and QS21's in a blade center
being managed by a J21 (dual power PC blade with lots of disk).

I upgraded our entire development and sdr lab without having to resort
to reinstall ONCE.  The upgrade broke the domain name on our NIS server
but that fixed and everything ran immediately.

I agree completely with Geoff.  I have cross compiled HUGE projects
(GnuRadio,  kernel, etc.) using ppu-XX and spu-XX under F8 with
absolutely no ill effects.

CAVEAT time.  I could NOT install F8 using kboot from the DVD.  It bombs
with some weird error which I would repeat if I had time.  I did the
"rpm to replace the repository" and yum upgrade.  I had to resolve a
couple of small inconsistencies (mostly due to fedora-development.repo
insisting on being installed by default and "fc9" stuff getting installed).

I am using the last running version of 2.6.23 from source from Geoff's
add-on due to my need to do customization.  I say it is a clear go on F8.

Bob

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes