[Cbe-oss-dev] Newbie: which kboot?

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 04:38:33 EST 2007

Hi guys,

I'm new to PS/3 Linux development.  I just got through wasting a lot
of time trying to find a combination of kboot image and Fedora version
that I could install on my PS/3.  I finally found a set of (old?)
instructions that recommend
using:
   ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Sony-PS3/CELL-Linux-CL_20070516-ADDON.iso
and FC6.

That worked for me, but it leaves me with several questions:

1) Why is there this huge variety of kboot programs out there?  Are
there one or two that are considered to typically be the best choice
for someone who just wants to get programming?

2) Where can I find instructions for the version I used?  I can't find
anything about a mailing list, etc. for it.

3) The particular kboot I installed just gives me a command prompt.
Does anyone know if/how this particular kboot can be used to boot the
PS/3 into game mode?

4) Is it OK for me to chance which kboot I'm using, now that I've got
FC6 installed?  Even if I had to be picky to find a kboot image that
could *install* FC6, I should have more freedom now that it's
installed, right?

Thanks,
Christian