[Cbe-oss-dev] help need: cannot boot after FC7 update on PS3

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Dec 14 21:49:03 EST 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007, Goffredo Marocchi wrote:
> let's see if I got everything straight ;).
>
> If I installed Fedora 8 on a PS3 (I might do it when I change HDD) AND
>
> I used the PS3 Kernel compiled from Geoff's git tree AND
>
> I installed both ISO's of the CELL SDK 3.0 (the base and the extra ones)
> excluding the system simulator and the kernel but including naturally
> ppu-* and spu-* packages...
>
> Will SDK 3.0 work fine ?

You have a much better chance using the latest update kernel from Fedora
than using Geoff's git tree, AFAICT.

Geoff's tree has newer features and fixes a number of bugs, but the
official kernel from Fedora is much closer to what was tested with the SDK.

> The problem with using SDK 3.0 on Fedora 8 is more like using SDK 2.1 on
> Fedora 7: it works fine, but if you have any problem with it (if you
> encounter bugs in the SDK) it will be a bit tough to get a lot of help
> on the IBM's forums because you are quite likely to encounter the "SDK
> ver X.XX is only supported on Fedora Y" and stop there.

I don't know where that bullshit comes from. The SDK is only supported
for paying customers _anyway_, and there is a Distribution test team
in IBM that is responsible for testing the newer distribution releases.
Of course, the SDK team has a limited set of resources and they try their
best to make the SDK work flawless on exactly one distro, but if you help
by reporting bugs with the same code on another distro, I'd expect people
to do their best to make it work there as well.

	Arnd <><