[Cbe-oss-dev] elfspe/elfspe2 source code (SRPMS)?

Wang, Baojun wangbj at lzu.edu.cn
Mon Aug 6 17:40:19 EST 2007

hi,

I've installed gentoo 2007.0 (ppc64, 64bit userland) on ps3 successfully, and
I'm trying to build the spu toolchain on ps3, the toolchain has been built
successfully, which is including:

spu-binutils, spu-gcc, spu-gcc-c++, libspe, libspe2, spu-newlib and spu-gdb.

spu-gcc can generate executable, the problem is I can't got it (the standalone
spu program) run on the gentoo/ps3 box. however, the executable (hello,
spu-gcc -o hello hello.c, hello world example.) can run on systemsim (SDK
2.1) and yellowdog Linux (5.04) on ps3. I have follow all instructions from
the documentation (althrough not for gentoo) including:

1) build all above packages (spu-binutils, spu-gcc, ...) via src.rpm on ps3.

     rpm -Uvh xxx.src.rpm
     rpmbuild -ba --nodeps --target=ppc64 /usr/src/rpms/SPECS/xxx.spec
     rpm -Uvh --nodeps /usr/src/rpms/RPMS/ppc64/xxx.rpm

2) install elfspe2-xxx.ppc.rpm, elfspe/elfspe2 package is ONLY BINARY
AVALIABLE (which I think cause problem in my example):

     rpm -Uvh --nodeps elfspe2-xxx.ppc.rpm

  The package is (I guess) for YellowDog Linux or Fedora Core 6, I have modify
to fit my gentoo box such as /etc/init.d/elfspe and add it to the default run
level.

3) mount neccessary filesystem:

     mount -t spufs none /spu
     mount -t binfmt_misc none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

4) run elfspe to register so that we can standalone spu program:

     /etc/init.d/elfspe start

5) run our test program:

  a) standalone spu program is not working:

     spu-gcc hello.c -o hello-spu

  when I ran:

     ./hello-spu

  I got the following error message:

     bash: ./hello: Accessing a corrupted shared library

  b) mixed spu/ppu program is working:

BTW:

1) the kernel is from gentoo ps3 live CD (2.6.16-ps3), I've also tested the
kernel from YellowDog Linux 5.04 for PS3, it's still the same. the CD is
from:
http://ps3.keshi.org/debian-live/20070114/debian-live-ps3pf-20070114.iso

2) all RPMS and SRPMS are downloaded from BSC:
http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/

I think the most possibility is elfspe have a problem, it can't run the
standalone spu program (as a interpreter via binfmt_misc), since mixed
spu/ppu program works fine. the elfspe package is only binary avaliable, and
when I use `readelf -s /usr/bin/elfspe`, it have many symbol link against to
GLIBC2.4, while gentoo 2007.0 is using glibc-2.5.

Is there any thing wrong in my configuration? Is elfspe/elfspe2 source
avaliable ( I can't found it and I've googled many times) so I can build it
from source, or is it possible elfspe/elfspe2 source code being avialiable
later?

Thanks in advance!

  Regards,

Wang

--
Wang, Baojun                                        Lanzhou University
Distributed & Embedded System Lab              http://dslab.lzu.edu.cn
School of Information Science and Engeneering        wangbj at lzu.edu.cn
Tianshui South Road 222. Lanzhou 730000                     .P.R.China
Tel:+86-931-8912025                                Fax:+86-931-8912022