[Cbe-oss-dev] Playstation 3 BD-ROM access and LV1_DENIED_BY_POLICY

Masakazu Mokuno mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp
Fri Aug 3 12:54:25 EST 2007

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:29:08 -0700
"Nicholas A. Bellinger" <nab at kernel.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 08:33 -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:
> > Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Why has this changed after working for me for months, and through 30+
> > > different commerical BD-ROMs under 2.6.16, only to now be denied with
> > > *BOTH* kernels with LV1_DENIED_BY_POLICY after a single boot into
> > > 2.6.23-rc1..?
> >

> > It seems strange that it didn't work when you reverted to the 2.6.16 kernel.
> > My guess, and only a guess, is that your method was in error, or that, as
> > Ralf suggested, the drive has now changed its behavior, perhaps because with
> > the new Linux driver there was an interaction with the drive such that entered
> > a new state, whereas with the old driver there was not such an interaction and
> > the drive never entered the state.
> >

> The problem is very specific from my point of view.  Where I was once
> able to issue the ATAPI command descriptor block (CDB) REPORT_KEY
> through the hypervisor under GuestOS, I am no longer able to do so on my
> machine.

Strange... The PS3 stroage driver of 2.6.16 should not support
GPCMD_REPORT_KEY (0xa4) except if you added an entry for the command to
the driver.  The driver has a list of supported SCSI commands,
drivers/block/ps3pf_strage.c:scsi_cmd_info_table_atapi[256].
If a requested SCSI command was not in the list, the driver would reply
with the sense key of ILLEGAL_REQUEST and would not pass the command to the
hypervisor.  Geert's new driver, mainlined in 2.6.23, will pass any
commands to the hypervisor.

IIRC, REPORT_KEY command itself has not been supported since first
release of the hypervisor (firmware) version 1.00.

So my guess for REPORT_KEY issue is that something of your initiater
side has been changed in the meantime.

--
Masakazu MOKUNO