[Cbe-oss-dev] Playstation 3 BD-ROM access and LV1_DENIED_BY_POLICY

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Fri Aug 3 01:33:00 EST 2007

Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

> 1) Why has this changed after working for me for months, and through 30+
> different commerical BD-ROMs under 2.6.16, only to now be denied with
> *BOTH* kernels with LV1_DENIED_BY_POLICY after a single boot into
> 2.6.23-rc1..?

It seems strange that it didn't work when you reverted to the 2.6.16 kernel.
My guess, and only a guess, is that your method was in error, or that, as
Ralf suggested, the drive has now changed its behavior, perhaps because with
the new Linux driver there was an interaction with the drive such that entered
a new state, whereas with the old driver there was not such an interaction and
the drive never entered the state.

> 2) What has to happen in order for me to continue to watch commerical
> BD-ROM content from PS3-Linux console over iSCSI..?  At this point, the
> ability to issue these ATAPI commands from a remote machine is very
> important to me personally, that I have been debating getting another
> console and sticking with 2.6.16 permanently.  Or at least until this
> newly added restriction can be removed.

I think we need to understand what the exact cause is before we can discuss
what, if anything, can be done to resolve it.  I will make some inquiries,
but that will take some time.

> 3) What can I do the prove that they are legitimate purposes (other than
> my screen captures) for re-allowing the ability to issue these commands
> under Linux..?

As above, before understanding the exact cause, and hence, a possible plan
of resolution, I don't think there is any reason to do so.