[Cbe-oss-dev] Playstation 3 BD-ROM access and LV1_DENIED_BY_POLICY

Ranulf Doswell ralf at ranulf.net
Fri Aug 3 00:25:15 EST 2007

Hi Nicholas,

I've not tried any of the software you've described, so this is based
entirely from speculation based on what I've read about AACS authentication.

To me, it sounds most likely that you've inserted a recent disc which has
updated the drive so that it no longer provides the media ID without host
authentication. Perhaps even the key in older versions of the firmware has
been revoked and newer firmwares use a different host authentication key? In
fact, I'm very much surprised even that you were able to obtain the media
key in the first place.

Did you try watching a previously unwatched disc when your troubles began,
perhaps? If the first time this failed was watching something you've seen
before then you can probably discount my theory, but from what I've read
every disc contains a host revocation list and a drive will always update
its revocation list from this before the host even knows about the disc
insertion.

Cheers,
    Ralf.