[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems booting PS3 kernel

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Sun Apr 22 03:11:28 EST 2007

On 21/04/2007, at 19:05, Geoff Levand wrote:

> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> On 21/04/2007, at 18:34, Geoff Levand wrote:
>>> Using vmlinux.strip is just for convenience during development, as
>>> it is smaller so faster to load, especially over a network.  You
>>> can also use vmlinux, which may be installed with 'make rpm-pkg'.
>>>
>>>    42M vmlinux
>>>   5.1M vmlinux.strip
>>>
>>> I would think you can make a change to scripts/package/mkspec to
>>> have
>>> it install either if you desire.
>>
>> The thing is I was using the RPM generated by rpm-pkg (not vmlinux
>> directly), and it eventually (at some rebuild) broke.  It looks like
>> as if the file installed by the RPM comes from a different binary
>> file...  (but after a quick look to the build scripts, I can't tell
>> why).
>
> It is difficult for me to say, as I don't use rpm-pkg.  I tried it,
> but it seems to need some setup which I don't want to do.  If you
> can post the error messages maybe someone will be able to comment.

Well, there are no error messages as per se.  As I mentioned earlier,
booting the kernel installed by the rpm-pkg results in:

kboot: testing
get memory ranges:1
Invalid memory segment 0x800000 - 0x9fdfff
get memory ranges:1
Invalid memory segment 0x800000 - 0x9fdfff
Segmentation fault
kboot:

And that was because I was using an invalid kernel (again, the one
installed by rpm-pkg):

ps3:~> file /boot/vmlinuz*
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-rc5-20070330: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, cisco
7500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-rc7-20070418: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC
or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

I may be able to debug this on Monday.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>