[Cbe-oss-dev] [FYI 24/27] ps3: storage driver

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu Nov 30 13:18:11 EST 2006

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 02:34, Geoff Levand wrote:
>
>> Yes, a simple header and some custom data pretty much describe it.
>
> I wonder if it could then be better implemented as a system device
> in sysfs, with attributes for each of the user selectable options,
> and a sysfs bin_attribute for the boot image.
>
> A block device sounds like the wrong abstraction on the user interface
> to me.

The trouble I see with that representation (to user space) is that when
the layout changes, the kernel (both bootloader and 2nd stage) must be
updated.  With the raw block device access, just the firmware and the
user app need to be matched.  The data in flash can be converted by the
firmware updater or by an app that is run later.