[Cbe-oss-dev] [FYI 24/27] ps3: storage driver

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Nov 30 01:30:33 EST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 13:41, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > Are there any disadvantages of using a block driver instead?
>
> My guess is that inside of the kernel using a separate block driver
> has only advantages. The value in the scsi layer lies mostly in the
> common error handling for all scsi devices, which does not apply here.
>
> From the user perspective, there is a significant difference between
> using a block driver and a scsi driver, mostly because the device special
> files are named differently. All scsi drives are named sd[a-z] or sr[0-9],
> while a new driver would use a different name space, possibly a common
> one for hard disc and compat disk type media, like we have on IDE.
>
> Whether you consider this difference a disadvantage or not depends on your
> personal opinion.

I see a different namespace as a disadvantage for the user.
And how would the device numbering be handled, with the moratorium on new
device node numbers? How to handle static device nodes (without udev)?

I also thought the current trend was to move _to_ the SCSI layer, cfr. USB
storage and libata.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1