[Cbe-oss-dev] Spider DMA wrongness

James K Lewis jklewis at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 8 08:05:34 EST 2006

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote on 11/07/2006
02:38:12 PM:

> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 11:14 -0600, James K Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Ben,
> >
> >   This is very interesting. If it will increase Spidernet performance
> > without causing more bugs then we should investigate. Before
> > attempting any of this though I would like more information. For
> > example, are we POSITIVE we will see a performance increase by
> > implementing these changes? Any idea how much? Our current driver is
> > at about 700 Mbps on TX with 1500 byte packets at approx. 30% CPU
> > usage. On RX, about 720 Mbps at 100% CPU (and thousands of interrupts.
> > NAPI does not work on this thing because of interrupt problems).
>
> What about Linas patches to do interrupt mitigation with NAPI polling ?
> That didn't end up working ?
> Ben.

NAPI did not work. Linas and I found, working independently, that the
turning off and on of the interrupts on Cell does not work properly.
Specifically, you could mask a particular interrupt and it would fire
anyway. I asked repeatedly for help with this from Sony/Toshiba. Their
only response was they needed "more info".

I still think your latest idea is something to pursue but not at this
time. Maybe after I deal with my Infiniband issues we can look into this
more closely.

Jim Lewis
Advisory Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center