[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC] spufs: memory-add fix for CONFIG_NUMA

Mike Kravetz kravetz at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 12 05:55:39 EST 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:33:08AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> > -               if (err)
> > +               /* We want to keep adding the rest of the
> > +                * sections if the first ones already exist
> > +                */
> > +               if (err && (err != -EEXIST))
> >                         break;
> >         }
>
> Why would you be adding pages for an area that already exists?  I'd be
> worried that this is papering over real errors.

I'm guessing this is to allow adding memory at a 'sub-section' level.
For example:  First add 1/2 a section worth of memory at 'Section N'
physical address.  Then later, add another 1/2 section worth of memory
at 'Section N' + '1/2 section size' physical address.

By definition, a section is the smallest unit of memory which can be
added.  In this case we are trying to use dynamic memory add for SPU
memory which is much smaller than the defined section size.  We don't
really want to set the section size at the smallest unit added for SPUs.
Need to see if there is a more elegant way of doing this.

--
Mike