[c-lightning] v0.10.1: "eltoo: Ethereum Layer Too"

lisa neigut niftynei at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 11:04:18 AEST 2021

We're pleased to announce the 0.10.1 release of c-lightning
<https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning/releases/tag/v0.10.1>, named
by @nalinbhardwaj.

This is a *recommended* upgrade: payment secrets in invoices are now
compulsory, and offers and dual funding drafts have been updated, so these
(experimental) features are incompatible with previous releases!

*NOTE*: Users of the rebalance or drain [plugins](
https://github.com/lightningd/plugins) MUST update, as payment secret is
now compulsory.

## Highlights for Users

- `experimental-dual-fund` allows advertizement of funding rates which we
will contribute to channels automatically, on a 1-month lease.
- `withdraw` and `close` (if peer supports) now supports Taproot (and other
future) addresses.
- `listchannels` can now be queried by destination, as well as source.
- `plugin rescan` now automatically reloads plugins which have changed.
- We try to restart automatically if we notice subdaemons have been
upgraded underneath us.
- `fundpsbt` will no longer include uneconomic UTXOs (unless `all`).
- `close` will return a stream of notifications if there is a delay in
closing.
- Unilateral close feerates were reduced from bitcoind's "2 CONSERVATIVE"
to "6 ECONOMICAL".
- Tor v2 is deprecated: please upgrade to v3!
- Fixed disconnection bug when an HTLC failed.
- Fixed bug in rapid feerate changes, and make code space them out (LND
compat).
- Fixed bug where Tor on different ports could be advertized incorrectly.
- Fixed various bugs to make `pay` more robust.

## Highlights for the Network

- payment secrets in invoices are now compulsory, finally closing a
potential probing (or, with amountless invoices, stealing) attack.
- `option_shutdown_anysegwit` allows peers to close channels to any future
segwit version address (taproot!).
- `keysend` now understands routehints, for routing to unpublished nodes,
and sets the final CLTV to 22, for rust-lightning nodes.
- `invoice` now allows creation of wumbo invoices (> 0.0429 BTC).
- We will now discuss old channels with peers who reconnect, even if we
consider them closed.

## Highlights for Developers

- Manual pages now document *exactly* the JSON you can expect from each
command (and it's tested!)
- Plugins can now publish notifications for other plugins to listen to.
- `force-feerates` allows complete feerate override (mainly for regtest),
and a bug fixed where we could send 0 update_fee on regtest.
- The HSM daemon is now separated into libhsmd, which also provides Python
bindings.
- `createonion` can now make variable-sized onions, and `sendonion` no
longer requires `direction` and `channel` for `firsthop`.
- `dev-sendcustommsg` is now simply `sendcustommsg`.
- Many offers API improvements and updates, including unsigned offers
(smaller QR codes!).

More details can be found in the [changelog](
https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning/blob/v0.10.1/CHANGELOG.md).

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and bug reports; please keep
them coming.

Since 0.10.0, we've had 526 commits from 15 different authors over 114 days.

A special thanks goes to the 6 first time contributors:

- Nalin Bhardwa
- Nathanael
- LightningHelper
- OpenOms