[c-lightning] Splitting gossipd

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 02:01:02 AEST 2018

Thanks Rusty for taking the lead here, this is a very much needed
simplification of how we handle peer connections. Splitting out a
`connectd` is definitely a good idea, also because it moves any code
that is directly in contact with the peers into a separate binary and
away from our global daemons.

Maybe we could even go a step further and merge all the daemons
(`handshaked`, `openingd`, `channeld`, `closingd`) that handle the peer
connection, into `channeld`. We've discussed this a few times before,
but I think this would be a major simplification (there is only ever one
owner, no hand-over between daemons of the peer fd, no need to drain
message queues, ...), and it's much more in line with other projects
that have separate workers, e.g., apache2, at a reasonable cost IMHO.

This way we could move the listening socket back to the main daemon,
which would then just take the peer fd, and fork off the `channeld` for
that, using fd inheritance (which also simplifies alternative
implementations since we don't need to use fd-passing as much.

We'd lose the simple synchronous nature of `openingd` and `closingd`,
but I don't think that that's a major loss. Also I don't think that the
flexibility argument to keep separate daemon applies here, since I don't
really see us switching out `openingd` with a custom implementation for
example.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think about this.

Cheers,
Christian