[Auugps] [AUUG-Talk]: Last call: dealing with two boxes of AUUG documents and photos from Christopher Vance

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Sep 17 11:13:24 AEST 2020

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020, Greg Rose wrote:

> For those of you who were associated with UNSW, I'm sorry to pass on
> that Ken Robinson died recently. It's a little known fact that it was
> Ken, not John Lions, who wrote to Bell Labs to get the first Unix
> license outside North America. (John, at roughly the same time, wrote to
> Niklaus Wirth, to get Pascal! What a role reversal.)

Damn!  He was the best lecturer that I ever had, and he taught me much.
And yes, I knew that it was Ken who ordered the tape when discussing the
CACM article with Ian Hayes (and I have a vague recollection that it was
Power Engineering who actually paid for it).

One of our assignments was to write a compiler called SYMPL (?), loosely
based on ALGOL.  Now, semicolons are required, but I wrote the parser in
such a way that it recognised the missing symbol (from the state of the
parser etc), inserted it, and kept on compiling; I submitted a program
with no semicolons whatsoever, it was faithfully corrected, and produced
the correct output.

I think he also designed FLUB - First Language Under Bootstrap - which as
you can guess had to bootstrap itself; I vaguely recall that punched cards
were involved to define the character set or something (corrections
welcome).

Vale, Ken.

-- Dave