[Auugps] Request relating to our AUUG trading name

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Sep 15 16:18:19 EST 2014

On 15 Sep 2014, at 3:29 pm, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest putting the
> current situation to Joshua and asking him to discuss with his legal
> people how we can solve the situation.

This was, IMO, a failure on his part to do his Due Diligence when choosing a name.
The ABR and ASIC search are there exactly for this reason.

This is not our problem, we don’t make or enforce the rules.
This is his local Office of Fair Trading enforcing State and Federal laws & regulations.
Nothing we can do about this, even if we wanted.

Even if we do get “AUUG Inc” formally deregistered, then as an _unrelated_ entity, he’s not going to be able to use that name for another 5 or more years.
[Note, the AUUG Preservation Society _could_ as a related entity register a trading or business name, but that’s a different question.]

He, like AUUG in the past, has very simple ways around this: he can use an acronym or common name.

Remember when AUUG had to remove “Unix” from its name when AT&T wouldn’t allow use of its Trademark?

So we kept the initials and called ourselves, for a time, “Australian Open Systems etc etc”.

That’s, I believe, the genesis of “AUUG Inc” being registered in 1998, not 1984 when it was first incorporated.
--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin