[Auugps] AUUGPS and AUUG status

Kevin Dawson kevind at esi.com.au
Thu Oct 30 14:15:52 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 13:36 +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I'm a little concerned about the sleeping dogs, thus the removeal of
> talk@ from the Cc:.  Feel free to copy any other parts (or even those,
> I suppose).

Don't know whether that works out the right way, as it's AUUG that is
most relevant to the sleeping dogs.  Still, I've followed suit.

> > Next, Peter Wishart nominated for Treasurer for the current board. His
> > was the only nomination (for ANY position), urgo he is elected unopposed
> > (the fact that there was no secretary extant to announce this doesn't
> > in my opinion alter his valid election to the board per the rules).
>
> Nor a returning officer :-(  But yes, OK.

The announcement of election results is a Secretary job, as I read
things.  This may or may not be desirable, of course, given what
happened.

You'll find that the most recent Returning Officer is happy to continue
in that role (and I imagine the Assistant RO is as well).

I've also fired off a prod email to ballot at auug, but it hasn't come back
to me (nor a bounce), so it may not be active at the moment.

> >>   I don't think the new AUUG should have cash on hand.
> >
> > I pretty much agree with that - however if its the existing AUUG, then
> > it WILL need some funds since it IS obligated to regularly file certain
> > things with CAV in Vic. They have fees for everything, and this WILL
> > eventually catch up with us!!!
>
> Yes, we should consider how best to address this issue.  I don't think
> that waking up Consumer Affairs is the way, though.

As I understand things, the various returns have been submitted, but CAV
hasn't accepted them, possibly because they didn't come from Luce.

I suspect that the dog isn't all that asleep, just engaged with bigger
things.

> > Its the fees that form one of the valid arguments in my opinion for
> > a new organisation based in the ACT (which allows free filing for
> > small orgs, as has been noted).
>
> I'd rather cross that bridge when we come to it, and we're currently a
> long way away.

There are various other costs, but they should be easily covered if even
some fraction of the people who say $10 is a reasonable fee find it.

Kevin