[Auugps] AUUGPS

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Thu Oct 30 13:45:52 EST 2008

On Thursday, 30 October 2008 at 11:42:44 +1100, Lawrie Brown wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:27:13AM +1100, Peter Miller wrote:
>>>   Peter Jeremy suggested the Lions chair for the Lions fund.  That's
>> I took the time to read the blurb about the Lions Chair on the web site.
>> They research "operating systems" not OPEN operating systems.

It might be worth talking to the people running the fund.  Any
operating system research is good, and almost by definition, if it's
at a university it should be open (yes, I know I'm on shaky ground
here).

>> I think Linux Australia's stated aims and objectives harmonise better
>> with AUUG's constitutions' requirements.
>
> I believe the Lions Award is managed by a group of trustees, and is
> distinct from AUUG (though has been managed by it).

Correct.  Specifically, the trustees are Lucy Chubb, David Purdue and
Greg Rose.

> It hence is not bound to AUUG's constitution, but rather the trust
> requirements. It is my understanding that they and the previous
> board have already agreed that the Lions Chair is the desired
> recipient (because the award WAS intended to "recognize the leading
> role that John Lions played in bringing UNIX to Australia"),

This must be a misunderstanding on somebody's part.  The only people
who can decide on the fate of the John Lions money are the trustees.
The board, representing AUUG, was just looking after the money, but
had no power to decide what happened to it.

> and just donating the money to say Linux Australia is less likely to
> do this. Its the follow through on this agreement that has failed,
> and is clearly something the reconstituted board need to address.

Agreed.

I'd also like to express my personal disappointment that Linux
Australia has such an emphasis on *Free* (sorry, Open Source) Software
that much of the UNIX John Lions knew and loved wouldn't have been
acceptable to them.  This is the biggest distinction between LA and
AUUG, one that I tried in vain to lessen.

Greg