[Auugps] Incorporation

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Oct 27 21:03:00 EST 2008

Hi Frank and all

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:54:58PM +1100, Frank Crawford wrote:
> > > Also, AUUG has financial assets which make the reporting much more
> > > onerous.  I have no intention of taking over those assets.
> > This is probably the strongest point.
> Also, the formation of a new organisation will clearly distinguish the
> difference between the old and new groups.

I've been chatting to Stephen this evening. Whilst I had an inclination
to try and evolve the existing AUUG to handle the new role there are
arguments for setting up a new org.

The above point was one key reason.

Two others which I've now chased up on are:

1) the Public Officer needs to be a Victorian resident if we
   keep the existing AUUG, since thats where its incorporated.
   However most of the movers for the new org are ACT residents,
   which makes things more difficult.

2) Consumer Affairs Victoria has a fixed fee (currently $39-70)
   for filing annual statements, whereas the ACT apparently allows
   free filing for small orgs (Stephen please verify what the limit is)
   Given Stephen would like to operate the new org with no or
   minimal finances, this is attractive.

Given all these, it does look like a new ACT registered org is the way
to go.

Cheers
Lawrie