[Auugps] Incorporation

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Oct 27 14:47:04 EST 2008

Hi all,

At Lawrie's prompting, Steve Jenkin did a little investigating to see
what is involved in becoming an Incorporated Association in the ACT.  It
doesn't look to bad, actually (the hard bit is probably making up a
sensible set of rules).  We need to do this at least in order to have the
license for auug.org.au transferred to us.

The down side of incorporation is the annual reporting.  However, since
our income is likely to be below $5000/year (and, in fact, should be 0),
that will cost us nothing and the financial report will be trivial and
can be audited by anyone (not a committee member etc).

The first steps along the process are for us to decide on a committee of
some sort (at least three people) and to instruct someone to apply to the
ACT government for incorporation.  The next thing is to make up the rules
(or modify the Model Rules) so the application can go ahead.

I am more than happy to wear the cost of all this (it is minimal) and am
also happy to act as the inaugural Public Officer (who has to do the
application).

Any delay in the incorporation should not stop us making our actual plans
and communicating them to AUUG, however.

Thoughts?
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au