Ybin failed?

nope nope xcaliber1234 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 24 03:38:55 EST 2006

Hello, my name is buster..
I resently came across an ibook with a broke cd-rom. As the newest OSX will
not run on the ibook, @500mhz with 128 megs of ram.  I desided to install a
linux distro.  After research it seemed that debian was the best option.  So
installed, and got it working with a 2.4 kernel.  Well that wasnt good
enough for me.  So installed the newest 2.6 kernel, rebooted and the 2.6
kernel started and paniced with (VFS: Cannot open root device "hda4" or
unknown-block(0,0)  Please append a correct "root=/" boot option.  after 2
days of reading i got back into the 2.4 kernel with the Yaboot command (
hd:4,/vmlinux.old ).  Ok, so i try again. I install the kernel again, this
time not forgeting to run mkofboot, and ybin.  So i reboot, and i get yet
again (correct "root=/). AHHH!!! Aparently vmlinux.old was copied over. So
now i have a /vmlinux and /vmlinux.old that boot into a 2.6 kernel that
panics at the "root=/".

ive tryed  hd:4,/vmlinux root=/dev/hda4 ro
still panics.

i know for fact /dev/hda4 is correct as i looked at my fstab before i
rebooted this time.

Is my ibook toast?  Am i missing something?  Please help!

Thank you, Buster.