[Skiboot] opal-elog-parse for eSEL?

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 18 12:58:11 AEST 2015

Vasant Hegde <hegdevasant at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> That's correct. I have experimented and it works fine. All we have to do is to
> remove
> SEL header part.

> Agreed. But this script is coming from hostboot (?) guys. We have to work with them
>

>>> As I understand it, the main thing that esel.pl does is the correct ipmi
>>> transactions to actually download the ESEL from the BMC.
>
> We can do this .. Its pretty much reverse procedure of eSEL logging from OPAL.
>

>> I think you can also download them from the BMC web UI.... well, at
>> least you get something to download for some events.
>
> At least on x86 machine they allow us to download :-) So I assume its supported
> here as well.. (only assumption, I never tried it myself).

Yeah, I've downloaded something and run strings on it to debug at least :)

> Note that currently I'm looking into inband support for retrieving serviceable
> eSEL event (whatever logged by OPAL, Hostboot and OCC?) .. Pretty much similar
> to what we do in FSP based machine..
> If we add that support, then we don't need to modify opal-elog-parse.. It will
> just work.. So I think lets wait until we sort out inband mechanism..

Yep, that's totally the correct way to solve the problem, was just
wondering about a bit nicer/packaged solution in the meantime, and
possibly solving the "hey, I downloaded this thing from the BMC, how do
I read it" problem.