[Skiboot] Memory allocations / free HEAP space

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 7 12:09:36 AEST 2015

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> writes:
> On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 10:00 +1000, Stewart Smith wrote:
>
>> Quite likely worthwhile doing, there's a lot of overhead with current
>> allocator for these. But I'm not sure it's going to gain us
>> much... maybe another 64k?
>>
>> Perhaps adding more heap really is what we have to do.. 2.3MB seems
>> pretty low, and on a four socket system, I think we'll run out before
>> boot.
>
> Can we make the size of the heap a factor of the number of chips ?
> (number of XSCOM nodes).

This likely makes a lot of sense... It would be interesting to know
*runtime* memory requirements and we could expand HEAP to ensure we have
around that much space available too.

I'll work on something like this for an extra section of heap, or we
move all of the heap to somewhere else than where it curretly is (I
don't want to move the in memory log buffer... that would irritate me
too much)