[Prophesy] Part II: Rip van Winkel Wakes up

Daniel Phillips phillips at istop.com
Mon May 16 13:52:10 EST 2005

Hi, anybody who happens to still be subscribed to this mailing list!

I have promised that there would be more activity here at some point, and now
there is.  As everybody knows, the big news is that Bitkeeper has been
exorcised from the Linux kernel development toolchain.  That is the good
news; the bad news is: this happened on very short notice, so we only have a
month or so more to get a BitKeeper replacement in place.

Well the fact is, several new tools - Git, bzr-ng, Mercurial - are nearly in
place already.  In the style of true troupers, these tools are already being
rushed into use without being 100% ready.  The standard process of fixing
everything up on the fly to more-or-less work is progressing well.

The part that Prophesy can play in all this is, there is all that valuable
versioning history locked up in now-dead Bitkeeper repositories.  We would
like to liberate that, and use it.  Tridge kindly provided an ascii database
dumper for BitKeeper repositories, and now it seems that Prophesy just may be
able to provide a useful link between Tridge's dump format and the native
formats of other open source SCM systems.

See the next message for a major update of the Prophesy code in the form of a
parser for Tridge's BK dumps, coupled to a basic versioned namespace manager.

Regards,

Daniel