[Prophesy] Versioning filesystem

Daniel Phillips phillips at arcor.de
Mon Mar 24 10:38:32 EST 2003

On Mon 24 Mar 03 00:05, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > So I started implementing this about 10 days ago and have been occupied
> > with it since.  Things are going pretty well, to the point I could think
> > about a code release in a week or two.  The project has a name:
>
> 	Is there an OLS paper in the works for this?

I'll get the code out there and do some benchmarks before thinking about a
paper.

> 	Have you looked at things like udev[1]?

Interesting.  But this project does not appear to be aimed at implementing
filesystem semantics in user space.

> > It seems to me, that much of what has been discussed is suitable for
> > implementation as a versioning filesystem, and so I have set out to do
> > that.
>
> 	What's the target? Something akin to cvs? Or something more robust?

To start, I'm thinking in terms of something like an undo-redo chain at the
filesystem level, but with branching.  The branches would be shown as a tree,
which is also a virtual filesystem.  The database schema I already said a lot
about, archived on this list.  It's designed with a sophisticated SCM in
mind, including communication with remote repositories, but the initial
target functionality is much more modest.  The idea is to have a stable
platform that does something useful, to build on.

Regards,

Daniel