[Prophesy] Re: Improved string transformation

Rasmus Andersen rasmus at jaquet.dk
Fri May 31 21:59:41 EST 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 12:05:26PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> I'm just going to throw some of my random thoughts on the table.  Don't
> assume any of the following is correct, it's just a starting point for
> discussion.

Mine is going to be equally random, just much shorter :) I'll try to
think a bit more about this later.

> > o providing usable change overviews and groupings based on dnotify
> >   recorded changes
>
> I'm now thinking that dnotify is the wrong model, and what we really want to
> to mount a magic filesystem over the mount point of the directory we want to
> manage.  The magic filesystem will trap all the file changes and call the the
> scm, then call the real filesystem.  Very simple.
>
> As far as change overviews go, I think I'm a long way from even thinking
> about that.  A lot more of the basic ideas have to be in place first.  Having
> a full database around that we can do arbitrary queries on should help quite
> a lot.

Like with dnotify, I think that the grouping and manageability of
changes coming through a magic FS is going to suffer. And I think
that this is one of the cardinal weak points in CVS, and thusly
one where we should aim for being strong.

But I have no good ideas on how to handle this and still get
transparency.

Rasmus