[Prophesy] Re: Improved string transformation

Rasmus Andersen rasmus at jaquet.dk
Fri May 31 18:28:06 EST 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:00:02AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Today I added support for the 'move' operation to the string transforma,
> roughly doubling the size of the state network, leading me to reflect on how
> much a slight irregularity in an encoding scheme can bloat up an
> implementation.  Oh well, it's still reasonably tight and efficient, and it
> is not going to grow more any time in the near future, except to add more
> error checking in the transinfo function.

Hi Daniel.

Trying to reply to you is like hitting a moving target :) This is a
shoret one; I'm otherwise occupied. BTW: I'm on the prophesy list;
no need to cc me seperately.

It seems to me that we (you) are attacking some of the lower parts of
an SCM before looking at the higher level ones. I dont think that
would lead you current efforts to be wasted but sometimes I feel
comfortable having thought roughly about things before doing them.
Of course, that often also leads me to sit on my hands all day.

Anyway, some higher level concers I can list off the top of my
head would be:

o branches
o merges
o distribution
o providing usable change overviews and groupings based on dnotify
  recorded changes

This is a terse list and, as I tried to imply, it is probably
independent of what you are doing now.

If nothing else comes of this mail, take it as a reassurance
that somebody out here is actually reading your mails :)

Regards,
  Rasmus