[Prophesy] General questions

Rasmus Andersen rasmus at jaquet.dk
Sun May 5 00:49:35 EST 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 04:37:45PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > Or are you talking about carrying a selected patch set forward across
> > multiple tree versions?
>
> The second, and carrying multiple, possibly conflicting patches forward.
> Logically, this is quite difficult, but in practice we do it all the time.
> So right now I'm casting around for ways of looking at the problem.

(I'm spelling this out in order to be sure I get your meaning.)
So we are talking about the situation where you have three trees,
all based on a linus one, called 'Daniel's pagethingies', 'rmap
refinements' and 'aa cleanup'. All three touch mm/page stuff
heavily and the rmap and aa ones are locally refined by you.

When Linus updates his tree, you would like to be able to update
the base tree and have all three local ones updated as well? And
does BK not do this for you? (Apparently not, but I fail to see
why not.)

> Any ideas on how we can know automatically that a build is in progress?

There is probably some kbuild (2.5) only files we could do heuristics
on but that would couple us thightly to that version of kbuild...

If we do this as a kernel-only SCM, we could also start out with a
dontdiff filter already in place.

> > Yes, dnotify is an elegant way to notice this.
>
> It's going to need some improving though, in order to be reliable.

? Do elaborate.

Rasmus