[Prophesy] General questions

Rasmus Andersen rasmus at jaquet.dk
Wed May 1 16:45:26 EST 2002

Hi.

Thanks for the invite and and thanks for letting me in.

I have a number of questions that I'll list below in no apparent
order. The list archives were not that stuffed, so I guess that
some of the initial discussions happened prior to or outside this
list?

Anyway, the list:

1) This project would seem to be a reaction to the BK thread on
   lk and its goal (I guess) would be to get Linus off BK. So,
   are we as a group aware/familiar with the features of BK that
   Linus, Garzik, Riel etc, like and want? If so, could somebody
   list them for me?

2) In his 'Answers from 39000 ft' mail, Daniel states that prophesy
   will manage all files in a tree. Is that convenient? If I want
   prophesy to manage my kernel tree, I surely dont want it to
   manage all the gunk created during a compile?

3) Are anybody on this list familiar with SCM? More to the point,
   could anybody here give me a list of SCM related links/infor-
   mation? Weave vs. diff+patch(xdelta)? How to merge sanely/
   automagically?

4) One of the features from 1) would be the distributed nature
   of BK, I guess? Are there any thoughts on how to handle this?

5) Daniel's 39K mail didn't mention changesets, the ability to
   group changes to files. I guess we are going to have this?
   And changesets would be on a delta-commit basis? (These may
   be too concrete for now, answer at will :)

6) Tom Lord's 'arch' have been mentioned as an alternative for
   BK. Are we aware of how he handles some of the above questions?
   (All these aware/familiar questions are really disguised
   versions of 'I dont know. Please tell me about X if you know.')

7) Why is this a closed list?

Regards,
  Rasmus