[Prophesy] Re: Improved string transformation

Daniel Phillips phillips at bonn-fries.net
Tue Jun 4 23:57:38 EST 2002

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 13:53, Rasmus Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 12:05:26PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > As far as change overviews go, I think I'm a long way from even thinking
> > about that.  A lot more of the basic ideas have to be in place first.  Having
> > a full database around that we can do arbitrary queries on should help quite
> > a lot.
>
> Just a random thought I stumbled across: Since you want to store
> the transforms in the DB, what are you doing queries on here?
> Comments? AFAICS, it would not be feasible to do SQL queries on
> the stored transforms.

The transform is one field of a record whose primary index is, most
likely, object id, assuming the object is an entire file.  There may
be other as yet undetermined fields, for instance we may want to group
related transforms together into changes, and comments would be
attached to changes.

As far as what we can query, sure, it doesn't make sense to do an SQL
query on a transform itself, but we can quickly generate strings from
source+transforms and do queries on that.  Perhaps the result of the
query would be used to go back and reorganize the transforms, or perhaps
the query will generate a list of regions of interest in the fully
expressed source of some version.

--
Daniel