[Prophesy] Re: Improved string transformation

Daniel Phillips phillips at bonn-fries.net
Sun Jun 2 09:58:38 EST 2002

On Friday 31 May 2002 13:59, Rasmus Andersen wrote:
> Like with dnotify, I think that the grouping and manageability of
> changes coming through a magic FS is going to suffer.

Sorry, I must have missed your reasoning about this, could you please
elaborate?

> And I think
> that this is one of the cardinal weak points in CVS, and thusly
> one where we should aim for being strong.
>
> But I have no good ideas on how to handle this and still get
> transparency.

Ah, I see what you're getting at.  OK, we are not going to rely *only* on the
transparent editing interface, but on other means of feeding the scm as well,
to supply the other needed information, which will be kept with the deltas in
the database.  I envision a graphical user interface running while the scm is
running, which gives a view of the source tree and lets you walk over it to
add comments, tags etc.  Of course we will provide a command shell way of
doing these things as well.

While we're on that topic, we want to make the SCM an embeddable object, so
that both the gui and the command interface simply invoke the scm methods.  I
guess we can rely on Python to handle that aspect for us, and so not get
stuck in some sticky tarpit like Corba, or COM, or building our own object
embedding protocol.

Speaking of gui, I think Glade should be the tool, the only realistic
alternative being QT/KDE, and while I do like the latter a lot in terms of
sheer usability, I also like the faster startup and lower resource usage of
GTK.  Furthermore I'm familiar with Glade, and I like the idea of being able
to separate out the interface definition into an XML object.

So, now I'm going to take a quick look at how Glade and Python play together.

--
Daniel

p.s., I prefer being cc'd on replies to the list, that way a copy shows up in