notice: meta-poky removal

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Sat Mar 16 03:09:09 AEDT 2024

Hello,

TL;DR:

A commit is going to require a change to your downstream `bblayers.conf.sample`
and local bblayer.conf files in your existing build trees.

----

In testing an image for our machines based on a recent openbmc commit,
we discovered that when we SSH in there is a warning message displayed.
In tracking it down, I found it came from this upstream commit:

    https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=a226865c8683398b5f58628ba2ec5aee1ee6c19d

When we first started the project, we based OpenBMC on "poky" but since
then, the purpose of Poky has diminished and upstream has moved more and
more back into OpenEmbedded-Core.  At this point there is absolutely
nothing we use from `meta-poky`.

With this in mind, and to fix the `motd` warning, I've pushed up a
commit to Gerrit that will completely eliminate meta-poky from use in
our tree:

    https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/70072

As you see, the primary changes here are to remove all of the
`##OEROOT##/meta-poky` lines from our bblayers.conf.sample files for the
upstreamed machines.  Since these files are named ".sample", bitbake will
use them as a template when you first create your build directory, which
means all of your local build trees have `conf/bblayers.conf` that will
also need to be updated to remove the reference to `meta-poky`.

(Or if you are not comfortable manually adjusting these files you can
always delete your build tree and rebuild.)

The openbmc/openbmc commit will also remove `meta-poky` and
`meta-skeleton` symlinks from our root directory.  I see no usage of
`meta-skeleton` and with this change `meta-poky` is also removed, so
these are just to keep our root clean.  As a side effect, any downstream
`bblayer.conf.sample` files will also need to be updated accordingly.

--
Patrick Williams