[RFC] Advanced Platform Management Link Specification for AMD processor family

Supreeth Venkatesh supreeth.venkatesh at amd.com
Sat Jan 6 06:15:06 AEDT 2024

OpenBMC team,

Background

Advanced Platform Management Link Specification is an AMD standard for managing AMD family of SoCs/CPUs/GPUs.
The Advanced Platform Management Link (SBI) is an SMBus v2.0 compatible 2-wire processor slave inter-
face. APML is also referred as the sideband interface (SBI).
APML is used to communicate with the Remote Management Interface  and the Temperature Sensor Interface.

SBI Temperature Sensor Interface (SB-TSI)
SB-TSI is used to access the internal temperature sensor and to specify temperature threshold.

SBI Remote Management Interface (SB-RMI)
SB-RMI provides an interface for an external SMBus master that can be used to perform tasks such as monitor-
ing the processor MCA registers, monitoring the current P-state or controlling the maximum P-state allowed.
SB-RMI supports signaling Alert_L when a MCE is received by any core, or when software sets SB-RMI
02[SwAlertSts]

There exists a reference implementation of
a. Linux drivers [Which we will try to upstream to Linux/OpenBMC Linux kernel]
b. User space library [https://github.com/amd/esmi_oob_library]
c. Test/example applications to exercise the library/driver

Question/Ask

We have OpenBMC applications [both new and extensions to existing OpenBMC apps which we want to open source soon].
However, it depends on the underlying user space library [Which is hosted on AMD's GitHub - https://github.com/amd/esmi_oob_library].

Is https://github.com/amd/esmi_oob_library hosted on AMD's GitHub acceptable to the community?
if not, We are open to put it out in one of the OpenBMC hosted repositories while following the OpenBMC guidelines.
It would be really helpful,if we have guidelines around Processor specific components that can't be generalized at this point in time.
Thanks for your comments in advance!

Supreeth