File Manager Service in OpenBMC

Sunitha Harish sunithaharish04 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 17:44:49 AEDT 2024

Hi Andrew,

On 13/02/24 4:06 am, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> Hi Sunitha,
>
> On Mon, 2024-02-12 at 20:34 +0530, Sunitha Harish wrote:
>> On 12/02/24 3:45 am, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
>>> Hi Sunitha,

>>> What are the specific use-cases though? It seems that we've jumped
>>> straight to an implementation detail (persisted files) when it's not
>>> clear to me *what* it is that's needing to be communicated to begin
>>> with.
>> IBM has usecases implemented under /ibm/v1 path at bmcweb, which uploads and manages files on the BMC.
>> These are APIs to Create, Update, Get and Delete a file.
> These aren't what I consider use cases though, IMO they're behaviours
> you might need for an implementation of something supporting a use-
> case.
>
> Given you have files, what is their purpose? Why would someone upload
> one? Who is it that's uploading the file? What are they trying to
> achieve? What's their motivation? Can you enumerate those reasons?

I have mentioned the purpose of this usecase already. There is no more details that i can share.

>>> Discussions in the abstract in the context of a specific implementation
>>> approach feel to me like they might struggle to gain traction.
>> This is the primary usecase of IBM.
>>
> But it's not something I'd categorise as a use-case. It's a specific
> implementation strategy for something else, where the something else is
> probably the use-case I'm asking you to describe. Use-cases should
> involve discussions of actors trying to achieve an outcome with a
> system. Who are the actors? What are the outcomes they're trying to
> achieve with the system?
>
>>   But, if there are any other way of getting this done in a any other way, please suggest and we can work together on that.
> I'm unsure, because I don't feel like I have a solid grip on what the
> use-cases are, in terms of what someone would be trying to achieve with
> the system.
>
>> With this email, i am actually looking for someone who may have similar usecase of providing the user a facility to manage files at BMC.
> I'm hoping that by clarifying what your use-cases are it's easier for
> people who may have similar use-cases to identify themselves. It would
> certainly help me be satisfied that re-implementing a filesystem on top
> of DBus is sensible, because on the surface it doesn't feel like it is.

Its not about implementing the file system on the BMC. Its implementing a systemd service, which will host the file descriptors as dbus
interfaces/properties. This will give file handler APIs to the redfish clients who are willing to do file operations on the BMC.

> Andrew

Regards,
Sunitha