webui by default in openbmc images

Ed Tanous ed at tanous.net
Fri Sep 22 03:11:44 AEST 2023

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 9:58 AM Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was adding a new system recently and wanted to add the webui into
> it. Doing a quick search[1]
> showed a lot of people adding it in via a RDEPENDS on some other
> unrelated feature.
>
> It felt like something that deserved its own openbmc feature and
> should be in our images by default.
> The following commit does just that:
>   https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/66675
>
> Please feel free to weigh in on the review if you agree or disagree.

The problem a while ago was that the webui is not able to build
offline, and completely bypasses yoctos do_fetch step, so the sources
aren't traceable and make the software bill of materials wrong.  What
exists in the OpenBMC recipe is literally just calling NPM install and
using the NPM registry to build the webui, which isn't able to be
built in an offline cluster.  That, along with issues with some users
proxy configurations why it was never installed by default.  I think
we need to take this up a level, and if we decide that we don't need
the defaults to be built hermetically or traced, and we don't want to
support devs with a weird proxy, that's fine, but it should be a
project level decision on that, not specifically scoped at the webui
as a default.