Add network RoutingPolicyRules at OpenBMC Networkd

raviteja bailapudi raviteja28031990 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 19:26:44 AEDT 2023

Hi Team

We have noticed network routing issues when the same subnet IP addresses
configured on both eth0 and eth1 ethernet interfaces, this issue applies to
all types of addresses like static, DHCP and LinkLocal address
configuration.

Currently IPv4 LinkLocal addressing is enabled on both interfaces, so both
interfaces come up with the same subnet Link local IP addresses
(169.254.x.y), but only one link local address will be reachable due to
these same subnet routes on both interfaces.

Here is the systemd issue https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/28814
I have discussed in the systemd community and explored systemd's
RoutingPolicyRules configuration as suggested by the systemd community and
it works.

To solve this problem we are proposing to make changes in phosphor-networkd
to configure/populate systemd-networkd RoutingPolicyRule for each IP
address configured on each interface, there is no user intervention or user
interface changes needed. phosphor-networkd internally takes care of
updating the systemd-networkd configuration as required

Here is the example of additional systemd configuration required for each
IP address configured on the interface.
Example:
[Route]
PreferredSource=169.254.202.113