Documentation/Guidance in order to support another hardware

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 00:19:50 AEDT 2023

> On Oct 31, 2023, at 4:40 AM, <Hakim.Cherif at microchip.com> <Hakim.Cherif at microchip.com> wrote:
>
> Hi OpenBMC team,
>
> My name is Hakim and I work at Microchip Technology Inc in the 32-bits microprocessors division.
>
> I am evaluating how to make OpenBMC support one of our custom hardware.

Hi Hakim, great to see another company with interest in OpenBMC.

> I am completely new to OpenBMC and I struggle doing this.
>
> Would you have any documentation ? Any guidance about how to do so ?

I would start with https://github.com/openbmc/docs/tree/master/development to get a feel for
how to setup a dev environment and how to build an existing system. There is a lot of other
useful documentation to be found in openbmc/docs as well.

OpenBMC also has a YouTube channel out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7uaW4PyzmougoMPgh7taOw

I find it easiest to just look at recent examples of people adding new systems to get a
feel or what needs to be changed to add a new system. Here are a couple of examples.

https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/yosemite4
https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/sbp1

> To give you more details, we already have our own meta-layer that is meta-atmel :
>
> https://github.com/linux4sam/meta-atmel/tree/kirkstone

I’m not sure what we’d do here. We run some scripts periodically to import other meta layers
Like meta-openembedded, poky, meta-arm, … so in theory we could add this too but
It may be better for you to just create what you need directly in openbmc under a new
meta-microchip directory.

> I tried to add the recipe-phosphor from meta-phosphor in it. But I guess that there should be some customization to do here.
>
> Any help is welcome here,

Our discord channel is also very active if you run into questions
https://discord.gg/69Km47zH98

- Andrew