clang-16 rollout

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu May 11 13:36:38 AEST 2023

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 07:46:23AM -0500, Patrick Williams wrote:

> I will also be pushing up to Gerrit under the 'reformat-clang-format-16'
> topic[3] fixes across all repositories which:
>
>     1. Copy the reference .clang-format from docs into the repository.
>     2. Re-run clang-format on the repo.
>
> We will need maintainers to merge these in order for CI to start passing
> again.

Many maintainers have begun merging these.  Thank you.  If you see
clang-format issues on a repository, you might check the topic to see if
there is a pending commit you can rebase on top of.

> [3]: https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/status:open+topic:reformat-clang-format-16

There are a few pervasive issues related to clang-tidy-16 that we are
still investigating.  The most common one, which affects many
repositories  is an issue in Boost that looks something like this (but not
always io_uring):

```
/usr/local/include/boost/asio/detail/impl/io_uring_descriptor_service.ipp:109:3: error: Called C++ object pointer is null [clang-analyzer-core.CallAndMessage,-warnings-as-errors]
```

The bmcweb repository has a big set of clang-tidy issues and I've been
working on fixing some of them [1].

Maintainers can currently ignore the Boost error on other repositories
and force a +1 Verified if everything else looks good.  If you are
unable to do that, reach out to me on Discord and I can help if you want
to merge some pending commits.

Please let me know if you're seeing issues that are not either 1) the
above Boost error, 2) clang-format errors that are already fixed in the
aforementioned topic, 3) failures in bmcweb.

[1]: https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/status:open+project:openbmc/bmcweb+author:patrick%2540stwcx.xyz

--
Patrick Williams