Error handling

chandu chanti chandutmba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 21:46:50 AEST 2023

Hi team,

We have drafted a proposal for  "Using default values in D-Bus properties
to indicate errors"  as communicated in previous mail.

Issue with Existing Implementation:
Error handling is not implemented in the existing bmcweb source. The values
fetched from D-Bus are used directly in the Redfish response, except for
some properties. There was no way to represent error for a given data type
on Redfish.

New Implementation Proposal:
We plan to handle errors from backend D-Bus services in bmcweb using a
custom data type class. We will implement a helper class to create a new
data type called mydatatype_t. An object of this class will be created with
the D-Bus property value as input. This object will be assigned to the JSON
response using the assignment operator. This assignment operation will
invoke the to_json function with the mydatatype_t object, where D-Bus
values will be validated based on their data types.

Data Types and Default Values:
The following values will be set on the D-Bus property in case of an error,
based on the data type. In Redfish, we will validate these properties. If
the D-Bus property value matches the error value, we will update the
property value as null in the Redfish JSON response; otherwise, the
corresponding value on D-Bus will be used.

*D-Bus*

*data type*

*Value of the D-Bus Property incase of Error *

*Property value as seen on Redfish *

INT16

INT_MAX

null

UINT16

UINT_MAX

null

INT32

LONG_MAX

null

UINT32

ULONG_MAX

null

INT64

LLONG_MAX

null

UINT64

ULLONG_MAX

null

DOUBLE

std::numeric_limits <http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/types/numeric_limits>
<T>::quiet_NaN()

null

STRING

BE_ERROR-XXX

null

BOOL

uint8_t
{0–false , 1–true,
  others- error}

null

In case of error conditions Redfish will report "null" for a property
irrespective  of the data type.

For error validation, we will implement a custom class, which will
facilitate error validation for D-Bus values. In instances of errors, a
null value will be allocated to the JSON response. Example for the uint16_t
data type.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

For more implementation details please refer the following gerrit link, we
implemented it for redfish URI /redfish/v1/Systems/<str>/Memory/<str>/.
https://gerrit.openbmc.org/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/66368

Your feedback and insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chandrasekhar T.