OpenBMC porting to portwell pcomc660-ast2600 device.

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Mon Apr 17 12:58:21 AEST 2023

Hi Lior,

On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, at 20:08, Lior Weintraub wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have forked the openbmc project and opened a "portwell" branch from
> it's "master".
> The repo is under: https://github.com/wlbe4/openbmc
> I am trying to port OpenBMC into this board:
> https://portwell.com/solutions/openBMC.php
>
> My first commit to this branch was the original code of meta-portwell
> layer given to me by Portwell support (PCOM-C660-AST2600_BSP_20211210).
> The second commit tries to migrate meta-portwell layer to the latest
> Yocto syntax.
>
> Changes include (among others):
> 1. replace _append with :append
> 2. replace _prepend with :prepend
> 3. move bblayers.conf.sample, conf-notes.txt and local.conf.sample into
> templates/default folder.
> 4. Try to fix build errors on u-boot and aspeed-linux - Still there are
> errors

This doesn't give us any insight as to what the errors were. Can you provide more detail?

> 5. Try to fix obmc-console - The build errors are gone but not sure it
> will work (no platform for testing yet)

What build errors did you see?

> Some of the changes were just a syntax change but some requires deeper
> understanding.
> Few examples are the changes in obmc-concole, u-boot and aspeed-linux.
> Since the original version is based on older u-boot and linux kernel,
> the patches might not be relevant anymore.
>
> Can you please review the following changes on my repo:
> meta-portwell/meta-pcomc660-ast2600/recipes-phosphor/console/obmc-console_%.bbappend

It's hard to say whether that's correct for your platform, but I don't think there's anything obviously wrong there.

> meta-portwell/meta-pcomc660-ast2600/classes/socsec-sign.bbclass

Can you unpack what were you trying to achieve by copying socsec-sign.bbclass?

> meta-portwell/meta-pcomc660-ast2600/conf/machine/pcomc660-ast2600.conf
> meta-portwell/meta-pcomc660-ast2600/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-aspeed-sdk_2019.04.bbappend
> meta-portwell/meta-pcomc660-ast2600/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bb

Have you tried building without applying patches to u-boot and linux-aspeed? It's not clear whether its your own patches that are breaking the build or if something else is afoot.

Andrew