OpenBMC kernel and CONFIG_PREEMPT

Zev Weiss zweiss at equinix.com
Sat Apr 8 08:07:03 AEST 2023

On Fri, Apr 07, 2023 at 01:12:21PM PDT, William Kennington wrote:
>I just looked again, AFAICT it was never enabled on aspeed or npcm7xx, just
>the new 8xx part. Hopefully someone else with aspeed chips will confirm
>from their actual `.config`

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's correct -- my aspeed builds already show:

    $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep PREEMPT
    CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE_BUILD=y
    CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y
    # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
    # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

Incidentally, out of curiosity I tried booting kernels built with
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and didn't see any major changes in boot performance on
either ast2500 or ast2400.

Zev