OpenBMC v2.10/Hardknott status please

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Feb 1 01:42:00 AEDT 2022

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 04:50:40AM +0000, Muggeridge, Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OpenBMC v2.10 is desirable because it has the 5.10 kernel, with an LTS of Dec 2026. Though, I need some clarification, please.

The v2.10-rc1 tag is also based on Yocto Hardknott which is EOL in March 2022.
To me, this is far more important than the kernel EOL for 5.15 being in October
2023.

> I see a few pieces of information that cause me to question if there will be an OpenBMC 2.10 release.

The v2.10-rc1 tag was made back in May and nobody seemed to care enough to push
for a formal release to be done.  I don't expect this to be done now.

> In a message from Patrick Williams (appended) he states 2.9 was the last release and the plan is to target January 14th, 2022 for a 2.11 release. What about 2.10?
>
> Meanwhile, at the time of this message, there are no release notes<https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/release/release-notes.md> reported for 2.10.  Though, the Current Release Content<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Current-Release-Content/b8934b1382409fdecf996fed6c56339e76717f2c> suggests 2.10 has been released.  If so, when was it released?
>
> Can someone clarify the status of v2.10?

There don't seem to be anyone vocally interested in any releases.  I mentioned
hypothetically making a release for v2.11 and nobody responded.  I think there
was a simple regression test ran on Witherspoon but beyond that we have no
information on the stability of that branch.

As best I can tell, most companies that are active in the development either
work off `master` or have their own internal release process.  I keep hearing
small comments here and there on Discord like "I'm building a machine based on
vx.y" but I have no idea why they chose "vx.y" and quite often they're only
asking because they ran into a bug that has already been fixed on `master`.

If there really are people that are interested in us making formal releases,
we need people to express a real interest and contribute (at a minimum) some
testing to the release-candidate branches.

--
Patrick Williams