[bmcweb] Device Level Logging Services

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Thu May 27 08:12:45 AEST 2021

On 5/26/2021 1:50 PM, Willy Tu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Main discussion:
> https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/CAHwn2XknKWyv6Bsq48tkvA52rHKZRFoEJgUuZUmMj6uZb584JQ@mail.gmail.com/ (a
> bit outdated)
>
> This will be a sub-thread about logging services that will be used to
> support Drive (and could support others).
>
> For bmcweb, I am wondering if we can support custom logging services
> other than the static ones that we have in
> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/lib/log_services.hpp.
>
> I am thinking about supporting custom log service at a device level that
> can be exported by different hardwares log entries that are more
> specific. Then at each device resource can link  the Status.Condition to
> the LogEntries.
>
> Initial Idea,
>
> For example, I want to have log entries for Drive devices.
>
> ComputerSystemId could still be system or bmc and the Redfish
> endpoint will be something like.
>
> ```
> /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/Drive0LogService/Entries
> ```
Specifically regarding the endpoint, we have considered a similar
approach for publishing a LogService for a memory device.  I don't know
if we have finalized our proposal to the DMTF yet, but we were thinking
it would be better to add a LogService to the individual resource rather
than keep everything under Systems/system.

If the same idea is applied for your drive devices, each drive resource
in Redfish would also contain its own LogService.