Apply the account for OpenBMC contribute

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Tue Aug 17 10:52:12 AEST 2021

Hello Figo Chen,

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021, at 16:16, Figo Chen wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> May I have an account to join the OpenBMC git to contribute ?

We need to unpack a few things to answer this question, because how to
answer it is less clear than you might suspect:

1. No one needs to create an account for you if you're looking to push
patches for review, you can do this yourself by following the process
documented here:

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#submitting-changes-via-gerrit-server-to-openbmc

Essentially, you need a Github account, and once you have one, you use
it to sign into our Gerrit instance[1].

[1] https://gerrit.openbmc_project.xyz/

2. If you're looking to become a maintainer and have the ability to
submit patches, you need to show the existing maintainers that you're
capable. This is usually done by participating in discussions on the
mailing list or Discord, reviewing other people's patches and proposing
your own.

To the point: Generally a very small set of people can actually merge
patches.

3. Currently, contributions to OpenBMC require signing a Contributor
License Agreement (CLA). The process is described here:

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#starting-out

Essentially, If you're doing this out of your own interest and not on
behalf of an employer, then you need to sign the Individual CLA (ICLA).
If you will be contributing on behalf of your employer, then you should
convince them to sign the Corporate CLA (CCLA). Prefer the CCLA if you
can.

Hope that helps,

Andrew