Enable UBI support for a platform

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Tue Sep 22 05:30:43 AEST 2020

> That could matter. Is there a reason you're on that branch? There are
> 800+ commits to master since that branch. In general what we follow is
> "live at head" of the master branch.
>
> Also, I was able to boot Tiogapass QEMU with the UBIFS layout with the
> following changes (I'm based off of the latest master) :

Thanks Deepak for providing this working example! I agree that using
master would be best.

>> BTW, Adriana, could you also take a look at this email thread
>> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-September/022834.html?
>> It was why I was going to enable ubifs but I'm not sure if ubifs can
>> solve that problem.

Early in the beginning of implementing UBIFS in OpenBMC, we also
encountered UBIFS corruption due to core dumps, and the only recovery
was to run a factory reset which deletes and clears the read-write
filesystem. So corruption may not be tied only to the jffs2 filesystem.

The corruption was so common that core dumps were disabled in OpenBMC -
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/6699

I don't remember what was fixed, maybe it was something in upstream
systemd, and core dumps were eventually re-enabled.

If you want to stay at 2.9, you could disable core dumps.
Or you can try moving up to master to see if that solves the corruption
issues.
And if you do move to master, you can choose UBI if you like (following
Deepak's example), we haven't seen UBIFS corruption is a very long time,
also haven't see jffs2 corruption for that matter.