An IPMI Request Visualization Tool

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Wed May 27 04:56:01 AEST 2020

On 5/21/20, 9:45 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Sui Chen" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of suichen6 at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello Andrew and Patrick,

    Thanks for your interest! I'm also using dbus-pcap to track certain
    issues on the BMC recently, and would like to add support for all DBus
    messages to the visualization tool, making it somewhat resemble a GUI
    version of dbus-pcap.
    The goal would be to be able to use this tool to investigate both DBus
    and IPMI. The way I plan to use it would be more similar to how I use
    GPUView (full-system timeline rather than inspecting individual
    packets)

    If you ask how this user interface might differ from the already
    existing dbus visualizers such as bustle, my answer would be: it will
    present information in a way that's more relevant to the BMC, putting
    a bit more focus on BMC-specific DBus messages, such as HWMon and
    RedFish DBus messages, to present information in a high signal-noise
    ratio way.

    If this makes sense to you, can I know what might be a better way to proceed:
    1) Create a change in openbmc-tools? or,
    2) Create a new repository under openbmc? or
    3) Create a personal/organization-managed repository and create a pull request?

You should be able to add it under openbmc-tools directly rather than creating
a new repo or creating personal directory.

    Thanks,
    Sui