Upstream Yocto Bringing in GCC 10

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Wed May 27 01:57:56 AEST 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:35:32PM +0200, Adrian Ambrożewicz wrote:
>> On May 17, 2020, at 7:08 PM, Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
>> Alright!  The great thing about GCC 10.x is that it brings in support
>> for most of C++20, including co-routines.  Looking forward to playing
>> around with it.
> Is it allowed in OpenBMC to base the functionality on experimental
> implementations?

No disagreement with how Brad responded to this.  In the past we've been
pretty prompt at moving up to the new C++ standards.

I am curious what you meant by "experimental implementations" here
though.  Usually the C++ standards committee has put things in the
'std::experimental' namespace when they are so and the normal 'std' is
non-experimental.  This means code using 'std' APIs should continue to
work going forward, but code using 'std::experimental' might not.

The specific example I mentioned here of coroutines is out of
std::experimental as of C++20.  The compiler writers have been slow to
get it implemented because it is a complicated feature.  So, I guess
you could consider the fresh implementation at the compiler level as
"experimental" but the language / library features themselves are not?

--
Patrick Williams