Implement a tool of flashing EEPROM to update the VPD data

Santosh Puranik santosh.puranik.ibm at gmail.com
Thu May 21 20:52:52 AEST 2020

Hi,

On 5/21/20 3:40 PM, Andy_YF_Wang at wistron.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I plan to implement a tool of flashing EEPROM to update the VPD
> data(MAC, BMC's PartNumber, BMC's SerialNumber and BMC's PrettyName)
> recently.
>
> Then I didn’t find a similar tool or module on the existing
> respository of openbmc.
>
> So can I create a new respository to implement this tool?
>
> Or does anyone have any other better comments or suggestions?

Which VPD format are you interested in updating? Assuming you are using
the OpenPower VPD format,
there is a tool being implemented in the series of patches here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openpower-vpd-parser/+/30239
That can currently handle OpenPower and IBM format VPD and relies on the
VPD being represented as
D-Bus objects, but we'd be happy to see that getting extended to just
doing EEPROM writes.
--
Santosh