SELinux UseCases

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed May 13 04:18:03 AEST 2020

On 5/10/20 11:34 PM, Manojkiran Eda wrote:
> Hi All,
> This is a just a ping - to generate a discussion on the below
> mentioned use-cases.
> Appreciate any inputs/comments.

Thanks for putting this together.

I would like to see SELinux limit who can write to files under the /etc
directory.  For example, bmcweb implements REST APIs add and modify
local users, control pam_tally2 account lockout parameters, etc.  More
specifically, the phosphor-user-manager daemon modifies files like
/etc/shadow and /etc/pam.d/common_auth.  Only this application should be
able to write to these file.  Also, this daemon should not be to allowed
to write to any other config files.

- Joseph

> Thanks,
> Manoj